Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Almost ready for the adventure!

In just one week I will be at home full time.
So, let's get down to business!
Today is a snow day and to be honest with you, every mom in town is feeling the pressure. We have had quite a few snow days recently AND a few holidays mixed in as well. Many are saying their kiddos are, well, off their routines so to speak.
I find with my boys that if I don't provide some structure on a day like this, they will get extremely grumpy and end up bickering a lot. While I would like to say they can just play, play, play all day (life is good kid!)- they need some balance.
I came up with a very general schedule for the day including:
11-12 free play time
12-12:45 lunch
12:45-1:15 clean up time
1:15-2 quiet times in their rooms
2-3 crafts
3-4 kids play...mommy "plays" (ie cleaning, computer, projects..the things that make me happy)
4- I read books to them
From them on, it's dinner, bed etc.

I am not naturally a schedule maker, but I really feel like it makes a huge difference for them and ultimately for me.

On a day like this, where there is 6" of fresh snow with a layer of ice on top, I am in no hurry to get out.

So, if it seems like a good idea, go for it. It's never too late in the day to pull them aside and propose it. And, by the way, I had to forewarn them that the schedule included cleaning and quiet times...that's gonna have to be a mommy requirement. Wink, wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment