Saturday, July 9, 2011

To homeschool or not?

I have wanted to homeschool since my son was 2 years old. To watch the learning process in action, see them developing and growing before my very eyes, and to be a PART of it, has always appealed to me. I am in the process of researching it in our area as well as digging deep inside of my to see what my motivations are.

So far I have found out:
- There are hundreds of different approaches to homeschooling.
- Many parents are opting for it as of late.
- There are support groups all over the place.
- Homeschoolers are BUSY!
- There are many different reasons to homeschool.
- You can buy used material in a lot of different place. (yay!)

Some of my reasons to consider this are presently as follows:
- I think a lot of time in public school is wasted. I believe they could get a good education at home in half the time.
- I want to be able to focus in on some of the stuff they LOOOve to do, such as science, math, sociology and chemistry nevermind what I enjoy such as history, photography, music and writing.
- I am extremely concerned about the influence my boys are subjected to being in such a secular environment (public school/preschool) - how it will change them, what habits they will pick up...
- Both my boys have a handful of food allergies...protecting them during the school year can be a complicated task.
- I think it's important to think outside the box, education included.

I have fears too.
- My older son loves socialization. I know that I could provide many opportunities for that, but, I wonder if he would actually miss the classroom?
- Would I be able to mix the roles of parent/teacher?
- Would they accept me in the teacher role?
- Would I get bored or perhaps feel trapped after several months?

I have purchased a lot of books, I am researching online and I am lucky to have people to talk to about it (homeschoolers and not homeschoolers).

I believe, with much prayer, by the end of this summer, I will know what I want to do. I wanted to post about it because I think homeschooling is picking up popularity lately. A lot of families are making this choice and I as I go through this journey, I want to share with you what I learn! I hope it is beneficial!

No comments:

Post a Comment