Thursday, April 26, 2012

April Showers Bring May Flowers, Yada Yada Yada

The last 5 days have basically followed this weather pattern: wake up, cloudy.  Lunchtime, sunny. Just when I run outside to work in the garden, clouds again and rain.  Yes, I know April showers bring May flowers, but to be honest, I want to be out in my yard working!



Ok, so what that 10 days ago, when I was watering a bare spot in the lawn it was so dry, it literally bounced off the ground.   So what that 15 days ago when I went on a little vaca with my family a friend came over to water the garden because it probably would have died from drought if she hadn't.

I am just kidding. I am not really that callous, but, I am ready and eager to be growing food this year like never before. 

I have reflected back on where I was one year ago.  I was just getting over a seriously bad reaction to a new medication I had started.  I had 10 days or so of debilitating nausea, and fatigue.  I was so pitiful, I couldn't even garden, I just sat out there in the middle of my garden in a chair.  And that's when I was feeling better!

I am so glad to have the energy and health that I have right now, I want to use it! 

The garden is actually coming along.  I am persevering with some things that in the past I would have given up on.  Cabbage for example.  It seems that cabbage takes a really l-o-n-g time to grow from seed.  I am definitely feel a little impatient, but I put in 4 today, regardless.  Then I went to Lowe's and looked at the cabbage they were selling.  That was a mistake. It was like 12 inches tall, haha.

As you know, we have planted fruit trees, 3 apple and 1 plum.  Maybe we might even get an apple or two this fall? I also went out and got new strawberry plants to add to the dwindling plants I have had for about 3 years.  You need to do that every once in a while. ;)

So, because I have so much going on here on the "homestead" I am excited to see it "bear fruit."

Do you every get frustrated with Mother Nature?  Do you ever feel impatient with your garden?

Let me know in the comments!

Jenny


No comments:

Post a Comment