Thursday, July 9, 2015

Clutter is a Joy-Killer



Do you love cleaning?  If you do, then, you don't have to read this blog post!  

Actually, could you read it and then comment below so we can all learn from you?

I was a slob growing up.  My mom would do this annual super clean of my toy-strewned room and I would be so happy in it for like two weeks.  But, then, it would be right back where I found it...naked Barbies on the floor, markers uncapped in a pile, Strawberry Shortcake and Smurfs mixed in with dirty clothes.  

Honestly I never learned to clean up after myself and be a good steward of my belongings. So, therefore I did not respect them or treat them well. This also was true of myself - my own self esteem and feelings about my body and my outward appearance - but that's another post for another day.

So...

When I grew up a little I shared a home with three other single women. I had my own bedroom and guess what - it was a mess most of the time.  I would clean it every few months from top to bottom.  

Then, I got married and we had the cutest little apartment.  And the same thing would happen. Mess then major clean then a slow return to mess.

We have been in our 1,900 sq. ft. home for about fourteen years now, and with the addition of three precious, but highly imaginative boys, the mess has quintupled! With each birthday and holiday, more stuff.



And I still haven't learned to keep things clean, regularly.

Can anyone relate?

Part of the problem has to do with my personality type. Highly visual and creative/artistic. I like for everything to be visible

Also, when I put things away, I forget about them (Is that mommy brain??)

So, for the last two years I have been reading and seeking input on how to maintain my home. I have talked to some amazing people - professional organizers, authors and psychologists.  But, not much has changed in my daily routine.

I like to live in my space - but not maintain my space.

The first thing I have attempted to do is declutter.  I have so much extra stuff in my house, that when I look at a room, it is overwhelming in colors, shapes, sizes, styles, you name it.

Just Google or Pinterest that word and you will find so much information on the topic as well as hints, tips and success stories.  

For the past two years I have made a total of seven trips to Savers to donate bags and bags of toys, clothes, decor, and more. Honestly, it feels SO good to donate.  It also feels SO good to see it leave my house.  I have also bagged and trashed a ton of what I would call "junk," although my son hates that word because sometimes I apply it to his toys, ha ha.


So, step one: DECLUTTER

Here's my motivation:

Luke 16:10-13 "Jesus went on to make these comments: If you’re honest in small things,you’ll be honest in big things; If you’re a crook in small things, you’ll be a crook in big things. If you’re not honest in small jobs,who will put you in charge of the store?No worker can serve two bosses: He’ll either hate the first and love the second or adore the first and despise the second.You can’t serve both God and the Bank." (Message)
 
Now, of course, I don't think I am a "crook," per-say, but, by not taking care of the small things God has given me (my house, my belongings, my space) how can I enjoy peace in my home?  I am in a way "stealing" joy and peace from myself and my children by having a confused and cluttered house.
 
So, out go the clothes that don't fit, the toys which are no longer played with, the extra kitchen gadgets and stained, sentimental baby clothes. Out went my maternity clothes (I am done!) and the broken picture frames.  Out went the shoes that I loved but had a hole, the earrings I never wear and the Jello-molds that we only used once.

It's a beginning, right?
 
What have you done to declutter your home?

For further reading
1 Corinthians 14:33 For God is not a God of confusion but of peace.
1 Corinthians 14: 40 But all things should be done decently and in order.
 
 
 
 
 
 


 


 

1 comment:

  1. I'm late in the game here but just wanted to say I love this post! I too sooo long to declutter, but sometimes feel overwhelmed. I am learning like you to do SOMETHING, just to make a start. For me the first thing has been to just pick one or two things I've been procrastinating about and DO it - whether that means fix it, get rid of it, donate it, whatever. These aren't huge projects, to start. We all need to feel that sense of accomplishment first before tackling things that are going to take more time. I wish you all the best...I'm right there with you!

    ReplyDelete