Saturday, June 11, 2016

Sprouted onions? No Problem!

When you go to the grocery store and are shopping for onions, you have a couple choices.  You can purchase one or two, or, you can purchase a whole bag full. 
If you're like me, and use a lot of onions, you might choose the bag option.

Good intentions aside, sometimes a few of them invariably get old before you can use them and sprout healthy green foliage out the top.  By then, they are typically a bit shriveled and emaciated looking.

So, what do you do?  Do you throw them away?  Chuck them in the composter?  Feed them to your chickens?

I have done most of those things (as well as throwing them into the woods for the raccoons).  Just because I don't want to eat them, doesn't mean some-'thing' else won't!

But I recently stumbled across one of those foodie-hack sites that tells you all the things you can do with things you thought were old and/or unuseable. And after reading through it, I realized that I DIDN'T have to throw away those onions, I could, rather, plant them!

This goes along with my favorite motto from the Depression-era - "Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without." Reusing my old onions (sort of) is a great way to save money and "wear it out"!

As I am in high garden season (my favorite time of year), I immediately took them out to the garden and found a place to plant them.

First, I retrieved them from the garbage. Yes, they were in the garbage.



Second, I dug a deep-ish hole (about 3-4 inches) - onions like to be buried deep to successfully duplicate themselves.


Third, I peeled off the outer later of shriveled up skin.



Fourth I placed the onions in and covered them.




I should have some new onion babies by August.

Give this a try and let me know if you have any success!

No comments:

Post a Comment