Sunday, April 17, 2011

Home made butter

Homemade butter...why? Why not? I have read recently that the natural food colorant annatto may cause a facial skin condition called uticaria. Well, it just so happens that my 6 yr old son developed this condition this winter. I thought, if I could eliminate this thing out of our diet, why not? By the way, another food it is found in is any yellow or orange cheeses. And it's a super fun thing to do with the kids.

Anyway - I could not have imagined that it would be this easy!

I went out a got a nice big jug of heavy cream and poured it into my kitchenaid mixer (sorry - my biceps are not strong enough to shake it for the full 25 minutes). After mixing it in the bowl for about 20 minutes, it became whipped. After the whipping stage it began to stiffen and turn a little yellow. In another 10 minutes or so, all of a sudden, pooof, it began to splash! My kids were right there and they were amazed! The butter separated from the buttermilk and I could pour it off to be saved for another day.

After this I rinsed the butter several times to drain off the buttermilk. The more buttermilk is left, the quicker the butter will spoil.

I have about 2.5 cups of FRESH, and I mean fresh, butter now. Next time I may add a little salt. It is so yummy people - and easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment