Sunday, March 18, 2012

Don't Put Your Seeds In Too Early



It's the second week of March and we Nutmeggers have been enjoying 70 degree weather. After a mild winter, this is like heaven! I have cleaned out my garden, turned the soil, cleaned out several beds, pruned the raspberry bushes, pruned the grape arbor, the list goes on. This is the earliest I have ever gotten these things done.

But there is one thing I will not do for another month.  Plant.

As nice as it is, as beautiful and pleasant, I will not put plants in the ground yet and I would advice you to do the same.

The Farmer's Almanac, the weather and planting resource I consult on a regular basis, lays out the best days for starting seeds and making transplants into your garden space.

In Connecticut, our last frost date is April 26. So, fellow gardening friends, we still have a long way to go.

So, what can you do in the meantime? Here's a list of projects you can accomplish before you start your vegetables.
- Clean out the beds
- Nourish your soil with manure/compost
- Turn the soil
- Weed out stubborn shrubs, weeds, grass
- Re-Edge your beds
- Trim back raspberries, grapes
- Put in supports for vine plants
- Clean up the fence around your garden
- Start a new bed
- Clean up the borders of you property
Good luck and remember, bide your time!
-Jen

1 comment: